Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My forty pound dog ate a peanut sized amount of toothpaste.

Customer Question

My forty pound dog ate a peanut sized amount of toothpaste. Will she be okay? She is acting normally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zelda, three years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zelda?
Customer: Nope, never had a health problem. And it should be pea sized amount, not peanut sized
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Don't give it a second thought. As you might imagine toothpaste isn't toxic as it's inevitable that we'll swallow some as would a dog should we brush their teeth with it. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Zelda wasn't intoxicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for your response! I've heard about toothpaste and xylitol toxicity in dogs and just wanted to make sure. :) thanks again

Even if that toothpaste contained xylitol, it takes a dose of at least 35 mg/lb of body weight for Zelda to become hypoglycemic. There wouldn't have been nearly that amount in a pea-size glob of toothpaste. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?