Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has been dry heaving for a a couple of days. however

Customer Question

My dog has been dry heaving for a a couple of days. however she started bring up white foam. She is still eating. Still has her normal energy level.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How often is she vomiting?

Any changes in her diet? treats? any human food?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

about 5 times. Nope. Newish treats. A little whole wheat wrap.

New treats and the wrap might be to blame here. Cutting out the new sources of food may be the way to go for the most rapid improvement.

I can also give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Sadly the stores are all closed. I don't have famotidine

Can you tell me what you do have?

Often gas stations will also carry famotidine, if one might be open in your area.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

None that are close and I don't drive.

I have Gaviscon, Dimenhydrinate, Pantoprazole 40mg

And how much does your companion weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Around 30kg

She can receive 20-30mg by mouth once daily of the pantoprazole. This can be repeated as often as is needed. If it persists, however, please do have her examined. Conditions like pancreatitis are common in dogs fed human food and chronic symptoms may indicate something worse than an upset stomach is happening.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

We went to the vet we had X-ray done at first he though she may have
Pericardial effusion. They sent the X-rays to a radiologist, who ruled that out, then said she likely has pneumonia. She is now on a bunckh meds for a few weeks.

Thank you for the update. How is she feeling?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still coughing that will take time to clear up. However with some of the mess she was given at the vet has stopped to puking so she is keeping things down now.

I'm so glad to hear that. Thanks for letting me know.