Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Last Friday Morning my 7 year old male shih tzu had a

Customer Question

Last Friday Morning my 7 year old male shih tzu had a seizure, the vet was informed but was blase about it saying it was nothing to be concerned about. Each time after this happened I called the vet as soon as they opened and was told the same thing 'there is nothing to worry about, it will pass don't pick him up or pay attention to him.' I'm still worried. He goes stiff with wide eyes and a little bit of shaking. After he's fine but it scares the bejesus out of me. Should I ignore the seizure like the vet says or should I continue rubbing the back of his neck while holding him and softly talking to him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: The seizures just start out of no where and last five to ten minutes before he snaps out of it and wants down.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 10 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. Please give me a moment to read the post and type an answer.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 days ago.

Is your boy on seizure medication?

Did the Vet do any tests to see if the can uncover the cause of the seizures>

Did he suggest a Veterinary Neurologist to see your boy?

Joan