How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16186
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate 2 blocks (47g each) of Brach's Almond Bark. It says

Customer Question

She ate 2 blocks (47g each) of Brach's Almond Bark. It says it's Chicolate flavored. Is she in danger. She weighs approximately 20lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 18 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 18 days ago.

How long ago did she eat it?

Do you have any peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
A couple of hours ago. No, we don't. But it doesn't contain cocoa butter, but does contain cocoa.
Expert:  Lisa replied 18 days ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Since she ate it several hours ago, the only thing we can do is to adopt a watch and wait posture. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizing or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover wrappers that she may have ingested.

If you notice any symptoms, then you should have her seen by an emergency vet tonight...that being said...even if you make it to morning with no symptoms, you should at least give your vet a call and see if they want to do any blood work...just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This was Almond Bark. And she didn't eat anywhere near a pound of it. What amount of dark bakers chocolate would be toxic to a 20 lb dog??
Expert:  Lisa replied 18 days ago.

I understand that it's almond bark...but it contains cocoa.

The cocoa in the almond bark isn't bakers chocolate....it's powder. It's hard to pin point exact amounts. I woudln't expect there to be a ton in the bark....and honestly, I would expect to already see signs of a problem if there was going to be one.

Related Dog Questions