Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She was vomiting now she has diarrhea Vet did blood test she

Customer Question

She was vomiting now she has diarrhea Vet did blood test she has a high calcium level he wants to draw more blood and send it somewhere else.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I have been giving her glucosamine.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophia age 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophia?
Customer: Before she got sick she ate a lot of chicken jerky.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry to hear Sophia has vomiting and diarrhea and that the calcium is high. Do you know what the actual calcium number was?

Sending the blood out for more testing is the best way to find out why the calcium is high. We usually check for a number called "ionized calcium" to tell if the calcium is really high enough for concern (and high blood calcium can be a marker for cancer, so it is good to check this; fortunately she is young and cancer is less likely), and also check a number called PTH (parathyroid hormone to see if there is a hormonal reason for the high calcium.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

I always check the anal glands when the calcium is high; tumors of the anal glands can cause high calcium.

The vomiting and diarrhea can be from many things: something she ate, infection, parasites, internal disease. Is she still vomiting and having diarrhea?

If the chicken jerky was from China, I would check her kidney numbers; there were problems with dogs eating chicken jerky from China, and kidney disease. The blood tests that showed high calcium probably also checked her kidney numbers.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you!

Was this helpful? Can I answer any other questions? How is Sophia doing?