Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

No, I meant to say that there is no itching or scratching

Customer Question

No
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I meant to say that there is no itching or scratching around her face or ears. However, she has what was once a small pink skin tag that has tripled in size and it now angry red and bleeding. She has hard lumps across her shoulder blades and an angry rash under one of her front legs in the armpit region. She constantly spins on her behind which causes the area to get red and swollen. She has had raised sores which scabbed up. I cut the fur around the sore and put antibiotic lotion on it. Nothing has changed in her environment that I'm aware of except for the kitten that I got 2 mos ago. The kitten is spayed and has all of her shots. They both recently got Advantage flea meds. No hint of fleas on either animal and she's fond of the cat and they play often together. One of the lumps feels kind of hot. Could it be cellulitis? Very worried.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: Doris the pug will eat the kittens poop out of the litter box,. I have to be very vigilant about removing the poop b4 she can get to it. She has no access to the downstairs litter box, but the upstairs one she might sneak and grab a poop if I'm not aware of it being there. The other litter box is on the stain landing and when Doris is downstairs has no access to either litter box, because we have a gate that prohibits her from getting upstairs. The only time that she's upstairs is when she is with me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Doris's problems.

The pink skin tag that has tripled in size worries me. It may not be just a skin tag. The best way to find out what it is and if it needs to be removed would be to do FNA, fine needle aspiriation. Your veterinarian would insert a small, hollow sterile needle into it, to get cells to look at under a microscope. If abnormal cells are seen, this should be removed before it gets any bigger.

The same with the hard lumps on her shoulder blades; I would do FNA to find out what they are.

The rash could be related to the growths, or could be an allergic reaction. You can apply some Cortaid or Cortizone 10 ointment to the rash. Giving Benadryl might also help: 25 mg 2 to 3 times a day if she weighs around 25 pounds.

Spinning on her rear could also be a sign of allergies, and the Benadryl might help. I would also have her anal glands checked. The glands might be impacted, inflamed or infected and need to be emptied, or she might need antibiotics.

The raised sores are also a concern. In addition to the antibiotic ointment you could try the Cortaid I mentioned above.

All of these could be due to an allergic reaction, but I would want to check and make sure that the hard lumps, raised sores, the rash and the angry red skin tag are not some kind of skin cancer. I would have her checked out by your veterinarian as soon as you can.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you!

Was this helpful? Can I answer any other questions?