Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Im not sure but think my bichon ate a mucinex d. I wasnt

Customer Question

Im not sure but think my bichon ate a mucinex d. I wasnt sure but now 3 hours later he seems restless and not like himself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beasley is his name and he is 11 months old. He does take a prescribed 5 mg tablet of puppy prozac daily.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about prozac?
Customer: No. Just that he does take it as prescribed by our vet.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Beasley just vomited. Bright yellow foam.
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 15 days ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Beasley may have ingested a Mucinex tablet and is currently on Prozac as prescribed by your vet.

The restlessness that you describe indicate a possible Serotonin syndrome reaction from the Mucinex. This is often caused by the Dextromorphan ingredient in the medication.

There are many variants to this medication. Can you please list the ingredients there or take a picture of the bottle to send to me. I need the mg dosage of the Dextromorphan as well.

- Dr. H

Poor guy. Yellow vomit is bile. This comes from the stomach.

I mean small intestines.

These two drugs given together (Prozac and Mucinex) can cause some increased anticholinergic effects of the Prozac, which include blurred vision, dry mouth, and increased core body temperature.

I assume you are still gathering information about the mg dosage your pet received.

A safe dosage for of 1-2mg/kg can be given to dogs. At 5.5mg/kg dosage we can expect to see some agitation and possible tremors or seizure activity. The treatment for this is a medication called Cyproheptadine or Diazepam, both can be prescribed by a licensed vet.

- Dr. H

Are you still there?

I tried to just look up the Mucinex D online to gather its active ingredients since I have not heard from you. I was able to gather that this form contains Guaifenesin and Pseudoephedrine, with no Dextromorphan. Is that correct?

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet