Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Ignores me.... He appears to be anxious and goes in the

Customer Question

Ignores me....
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He appears to be anxious and goes in the opposite room from where I am. He has always been right at my feet.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Simba 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: He is still very active when we go for a walk....not eating like he normally does.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: feet appear to be in good shape. Took him to the groomer today...he reacted to the blower...usually likes it.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
not eating as usual...still very active when we go for a walk or for car rides....so don't think he is in pain
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Waiting.....
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I thought we would be typing back and forth...but I have to leave the computer.; Other things are he sits and stares a lot.... When I left the other day he was trembling ......this is unusual..... this started about 4 days ago. A little while ago he got to coughing....I gave him some ice cream and he is better now...but just laying on his side very quitely....that is normal for this time of night.... He still grabs a toy and runs with it when I open the back or front door....that is how he usually shows me he is happy is by squeeking his toys....
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Simba had any illness or injuries during his lifetime?
2) When was the last time bloodwork was run?
3) What breed of dog is he?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He ran into a car once and was knocked unconscious....that was about 2 years ago.
He has never had blood work run
He is a Tibitian Spaniel

Typically when a dog is not eating well, the first thing we want to do is address a concern of nausea or the stomach not feeling well. If this does not help, a physical exam to look for abnormalities would be most ideal. Often having a vet perform an exam can show us where or what is not doing well and tell us what needs to be done. In the meanwhile, I will give you some instructions below to try and see if it will help with the symptoms that might be related to an upset stomach. Please let me know if these steps help you.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800