Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

He is 13 yrs old and started walking with his hips turning

Customer Question

He is 13 yrs old and started walking with his hips turning towards his front and down a few days ago. He also appears to be having muscle spasms when he is lyinh down. His leg (left rear)starts twitching.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. No woounds
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo?
Customer: He is Diabetic. Insulin twice a day
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 19 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about Bo. It is possible he may be having problems with a diabetic neuropathy, a condition involving the nerves that causes muscle weakness and instability often to the rear legs more commonly. They will walk on the backs of their lower legs instead of just their paws. Does this sound like what is happening? Have you had his glucose checked recently? This usually happens when the blood sugar is too high or too low. I would suggest having him seen and checking the blood sugar. I usually recommend a glucose curve which is when the dog has his glucose checked every 2 hours for about 8 hours to get an idea of what is happening over the course of the day with the blood sugar. It is better than just doing one single test because that can be misleading if the one value is normal but all the other are way too high or low. Also there is a blood test called Fructosamine that checks the glucose control over a 2 week period. I usually recommend both. Dogs that are on insulin can decompensate for many reasons even if they have been doing well for a long time. Sometimes you need to check if something else is going on like a urinary tract infection, pancreatitis or cushings disease (a problem with the adrenal gland).

I hope this helps. If I can answer any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. If not please provide a rating, it is the only way I get credit for my response. Thank you