Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog's penis has always been large and a "reddish" color

Customer Question

My dog's penis has always been large and a "reddish" color when he is stimulating himself. This morning I noticed he was licking himself and it was skinny and white, with a "reddish" color at the tip. He was recently diagnosed with an enlarged prostrate, but it was smooth on the inside. His testicles are fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he turned 6 in August.
JA: How old is Jasper?
Customer: He turned 6 years old in August.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: I have had two vets recently tell me his health is great! He has recently had a urine test, fecal sample, blood test, Brucellosis test, etc., all of which came out fine.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 16 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If you have pictures, please share them. It sounds like you are describing a normal canine penis. Without heavy blood flow, the appearance will be white. Once stimulated the penis will become pink and eventually red. Any combination of these colors is completely acceptable. If you find that he has any functional issues with his penis, such as being unable to urinate, this is when you'd want to seek care. Otherwise, the observation you've had sounds entirely normal for a dog.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800