Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog threw up a small piece of plastic today and it looks

Customer Question

hello, my dog threw up a small piece of plastic today and it looks like it was from her dental chew toy. she attempt to throw up a few times but didn't. then when she did she threw that piece up. she had two bows movements, and one running one. she's not acting abnormal very high energy and still seems to want to play. am i over reacting after reading all these terrible
blockages theories that can kill my dog?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I understand your concern but thankfully her overall behavior doesn't indicate a dog on death's door! The hallmark signs of gastrointestinal obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia and should either arise the next step would be to X-ray or ultrasound her gastrointestinal tract to better assess the extent and location of additional ingested plastic. If she continues to act normally and is appetent there's no reason for a vet to attend to her. Can you determine from what's left of that chew toy if additional plastic might still be inside Moscato?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
our vet appointment is saturday. will she be fine to wait to be check until then?

As long as she remains as well as she is currently, there's no reason for her to be seen by her vet at all unless she's scheduled for routine maintenance! Please continue our conversation if you wish.