Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My Australian Shepherd is 15 weeks old, is throwing up foam

Customer Question

My Australian Shepherd is 15 weeks old, is throwing up foam & has had diarrhea, has a fever of 103.5 , ate a little this am. Do I need to see vet tonight or can I wait till tomorrow?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I would recommend having him examined tonight. It sounds like he may be experiencing the symptoms of parvo.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Leo has had 3 Parvovirus shots & he won't eat any thing. I've given him children's Imodium, just keeps throwing up foam, Won't drink either. Thanks

The vaccines are prevention and they, like all preventive vaccines, don't work 100% of the time. There are plenty of dogs who are fully vaccinated as puppies who still acquire parvo, distemper, etc. The Imodium is not going to help him with the vomiting. It only helps with diarrhea and should not be your focus at this point. The vomiting needs to be the focus. As soon as he is holding fluids down, the Imodium can be used to help him further.

Were you able to read above regarding now to stop vomiting? Did that post come through?