Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I HAVE NEWBORN PUPPY THAT WILL NOY\ RUNT OF THE LITTER MOMMA

Customer Question

I HAVE NEWBORN PUPPY THAT WILL NOY\
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?
Customer: RUNT OF THE LITTER MOMMA KEEPS IT SEPERATE FROM THE OTHERS,
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: DONT KNOW SHE JUST DOESN'T MOVE MUCH ONLY A DAY OLD
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the puppy eating normally?
Customer: NO THE PUPPY WILL NOT NURSE
JA: Is the puppy having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: NOT SURE
JA: How is the puppy behaving differently?
Customer: WIGGLYS AND ROLLS IT'S BODY AND THEN WILL JUST LAY THERE. MOMMA SEEMS CONCERNED BUT SHE SEPERATES IT
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: NO I GUESS
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

JACustomer, your best bet at this point is going to be having this puppy examined. A vet will be able to tell you if there is anything wrong structurally with the puppy keeping him from eating. We often see this in puppies with cleft palates, for example, which make attachment to the nipple impossible and what milk does come in can be aspirated. With this, these puppies often require hand feeding or tube feeding from the owner and around the clock care to keep them alive. Without being able to nurse, this puppy will wane and eventually will pass away so acting quickly would be most ideal.

If you need help finding a clinic that can see your puppy today, please post back your city, state and zipcode.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800