Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My senior dog doesn't see or hear well. He walks, but not

Customer Question

My senior dog doesn't see or hear well. He walks, but not much. He always seems to end up in a corner or small space like between furniture and the wall. What's causing this?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

JACustomer, have you had your pet's vision evaluated medically? Any recent blood work performed?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
You can clearly see cataracts in both eyes they are pretty much totally covered over. Haven't had any recent blood work done.

It would be worthwhile to ensure that there is not a medical reason for this happening, such as diabetes.

That being said, your companion is likely finding his way into tight places because he cannot see. Naturally, the best way for us to be oriented when we cannot see is to find at least one wall or surface to lean upon and give us guidance and spacial orientation in our area. I imagine this means that you probably have your figure near a wall and that's where your companion gets stuck because he's more familiar with moving forward than backwards and he cannot see to get himself turned around the correct direction. It might help to move the furniture away from the walls so that he can explore without getting himself in a place he cannot get out of.