Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Our female puppy is 6 months old and keeps going outside and

Customer Question

Our female puppy is 6 months old and keeps going outside and the past couple times whining and crying when she squats to go and we don't whats wrong!:(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Daisy. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her if you don't mind:

1. Is she producing small amounts of urine when she squats or is it hard to tell?

2. Is she having accidents in the house or just letting you know that she needs to go outside more frequently?

3. Is she drinking more water?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
hard to tell, the last times I don't think anything is coming out, no just letting us know, not anymore than normal
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 16 days ago.

It sounds as if Daisy may have a urinary tract infection (uti) based on your description of her behavior.

Without a urinalysis, we wouldn't know for sure but these conditions are typically treated with systemic antibiotics dispensed by your vet. Unfortunately, there are no over the counter drugs that will treat them. It is important to treat these infections since the bacteria can potentially travel to the kidneys and cause significant damage to these organs, although it typically takes time for this to happen (often weeks versus days).

Some owners have found cranberry products such as Craninidin can help reduce the symptoms associated with a urinary tract infection; however, my experience is that they're best used to prevent recurrent issues rather than to treat current ones. But, they are safe and may be something to consider since you're likely to find them at local pet or grain stores...at least here in the States that's the case.

Encouraging increased water intake is something I suggest to help flush out the bladder until a urinalysis can be done and appropriate antibiotics started.

There are other conditions, though, that could explain her symptoms such as bladder stones which can mimic a"simple" urinary tract infection and can be seen even in puppies this age...it's not common but I've seen it. Additional testing such as x-rays or ultrasound would be needed to rule this in..or out.

I'll include puppy vaginitis on the list although typically these puppies will have a creamy, sticky discharge around the vulva and will be licking the area.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be an ER type of situation but I would certainly encourage a vet visit tomorrow if possible.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 14 days ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Daisy. How are things going with her? Deb