Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My 11 year old American dog just has his first seizure,

Customer Question

my 11 year old American bull dog just has his first seizure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: havoc
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about havoc?
Customer: he is out of it now hes walking around but seems like he has no idea where he is or who I am or what I'm saying hes a very big dog and I'm just a little scared he might get vicious
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am reading your information and will post an answer for you in a few Mins.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

Thank-you for waiting. What you are seeing is the Post ictal phase of a seizure. He is Dazed and confused, but I doubt will get viscious. We suggest at this time putting the dog in a darkend room and allow them to rest. No loud noise or lights. This will allow him to recover. You will need to make sure he is not near furniture incase he has another. Should he have another seizure try and document time, what he was doing and if you can get a short video for your Vet. Seizures can be medically induced or could be idiopathic meaning there is no specific reason for it to occur. This is some information on Seizures: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/tablecontents.htm This site goes over all factors involving seizures and what to look out for and what to do. If he continues to have seizures tonight, he will need to see a Vet tonight. Should you need an ER Vet, Please supply a City, State and zipcode. For any questions, please hit reply. My goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

Wanted to check in see how Havoc is doing since the seizure. Has he and any more? Please be sure to see the Vet on Monday if you have not seen the Vet already. Please post an updat on how Havoc is doing.

Joan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank u so much for all your help and advice the night in a dark room help a lot he was back to his normal self today but still took him to be seen and looks like he has a tumor in his scrodum and possible liver as well and may have lead to his brain witch may have caused him to have a seizure!!! not sure what our next step is
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

Thank-you for the update. I would have some blood work done to see if either of those wer the cause of the seizure and then go from there. One step at a time and so glad he is doing better. If I have addressed all yout concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated for my tome and answers.

Happy Holidays.

Joan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
yessss that what we had done today blood work xrays ect and the only thing that was off was his liver and he definitely saw a mass in his scrodum as well
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

I know you are concerned, but there are treatments you can opt for, so at this point I would await the blood work and see where that leads. He saound like a great Dog I have a Pit bull and american bull dog cross and she is the biggest love.

Joan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the blood work came back right away the thing is yes theres surgery for the mass to be removed from his scrodum as well as his liver but we wont know if it has gotten to his brain considering seizures have to do with his brain and everything in his blood came back normal but his liver so without an MRI we wont know if it has gotten to his brain and an MRI is just byond too much for a 11 1/2 old doggy its killing us to know what the future may hold for him but we dont have a choice really
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

In that case, then I would make him as comfortable as possible, until his quality of life fades. If he is eating, playing enjoys family time and the seizures are not too frequent and can be managed with medication and the pain can be managed, then I would allow him to enjoy his time with the people he loves.

Joan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
correct thats our plan thank u so much again
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

You are so welcome. Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. so I can be compensated by the site and please try and have a great holiday season.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

Please update me from time to time on his condition and how he is doing. I would love to hear how he is doing.

Joan