Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Has an earacche from many surgeries on one ear due to

Customer Question

has an earacche from many surgeries on one ear due to hematomas, and its ear canal is very ssssmall in the opening because of scar tissue, he gets ear acches all the time and came across a pill from doctor with m/58 on it and i looked it up and it said oxycodone. I dont think this is safe for him. he weighs 114 pounds.m
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is 9 years old and his name is BLAZE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about BLAZE?
Customer: iss it safe to give him oxycodone?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Oxycodone can be helpful analgesic in dogs when dosed at 0.05 mg/lb (and up to 0.2 mg/lb when severe pain is present). A 114 lb dog, then, might be administered 6 mg initially every 6-12 hours and the dose could be increased up to 24 mg if need be. Unless there's a pre-existing cardiopulmonary disorder present in Blaze, I don't see a problem dosing him with that potent narcotic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?