PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Sick parvo pups, I have a litter already at vets on

Sick parvo pups
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I have a litter already at vets on medication but i also have others pups here
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Im scared the other pups are going to get sick
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: They seem weak
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes i think so
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: They are 7 week old pups and been exposed to parvo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do but wait and watch to see if the puppies that have been exposed are going to develop symptoms, as well. In the meanwhile, you should begin disinfecting all surfaces that the sick puppies have had contact with in your home with a 10:1 dilution of water to bleach. You can also minimize the risk of transmission but picking up all stool in the back yard that they might be exposed to otherwise.

Some vets feel that vaccinating at 7 weeks when exposed to parvo offers some immune stimulation and helps prevent them from acquiring the illness. Others feel differently. If they have not been started on their vaccines yet, certainly you want to look into this happening by the time they 8 weeks of age.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello there i have 3 week old pups with confirmed parvo at vets one has died other 4 doing well its been 4 days ... my problem is i have 7 week old ones here and 5 week old ones here ... vet come yesterday and gave them there shots but im so worried as they have been exposed to the pravo :( when will i know they are all ok

Typically if puppies are going to come down with parvo, it happens within 14 days of exposure. Most often within the first week. They can develop it at any time, however, so using the instructions above for disinfecting your home will be the most useful.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They have all had there shots even the 4 week old pups have ... how many days do i have wait ... im using a vet cleaner that kills parvo and bleaching outside
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have to wait 14 days to know if the others will come down with it ?? Also how long if the others make it will they shred the virus for ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry also how many days do i have to do the bleaching and cleaning of the home for the 14 days ??

You can begin using the bleach solution now. 14 additional days will tell you if the puppies who were exposed will develop parvo from the original puppy's exposure. However, parvo will be in the environment so they can truly develop parvo at any time from this point forward. Thus, staying up to date on vaccinations is the best prevention.

Typically 5 days after their symptoms have resolved the virus is no longer being shed in the stool. This necessitates picking the stool up as its deposited and continuing efforts to clean daily with the bleach solution.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so keep cleaning with the bleach everyday and keep them all separate and contained??

That's correct. The more often you clean and pick up stool the better off your chances will be that none of the other puppies will come down with parvo.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well i have my fingers crossed im so stressed out and worried for my fur babies :( its a nightmare and im going to do everything i can to kill this nasty virus...

It sounds like you're in the right mind set to get the job done. If I can help further, please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What signs should i look for in the younger pups

The signs will be no different than what you saw before. Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food and/or water, etc.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help

Certainly.