Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

She is very nauseated, she threw up a few times and does not

Customer Question

She is very nauseated, she threw up a few times and does not want to eat, she just looks like she feels bad.I pulled her water, but I live away from town and I have no kaopectade, can I give her promethazine?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: The only thing I keep catching her eat outside is acorns.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Laya, age 4. 70lb German Sheppard.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Laya?
Customer: she is up to date on her shots, she did this once before about a yr ago, complete labs at the vet were perfect, we changed her food then to a brand that has no corn, or grains. she loves to drink water. (A lot)
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 17 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years .

I understand Laya is Vomiting, is there any diarrhea?

Was she eating the Acorns today before this happened?

Joan

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No diarrhea that I have noticed, my husband woke up this morning to 4 piles of vomit, looked mostly like food. She looked like she didn't feel very well last night. nose is wet and cool. I do not know if she ate any acorns yesterday, when i notice her eating them I get on to her, but not sure if she ate any.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
can I give her Phergan? thats all I have. except children's liquid Benadryl
Expert:  Joan replied 17 days ago.

The Acorns are toxic due to tanic acid in them and they also can cause Kidney issues if she ingests them. So the Acorns are a big concern. http://www.southarundelvet.com/sites/site-2440/documents/acorns.pdf They can cause the vomiting you are seeing as well as Diarrhea in some cases. I cannot recommend Promethazine since it is a Prescription medication and not prescribed for Her. However what we can give is Pepcid AC, Tagamet, or we can give Zantac. Other than those I cannot recommend a medication. We need to pick up the water and only give in small amounts since drinking to much will cause her to vomit more. We also need to fast her for the next 24 hours. When the 24 hours is up, we will start a blanc diet of 1 part boiled skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice and a table spoon of Canned Pumpkin which is a fiber food and can aid is settling the stomach.

If you do not have any of the medication I mentioned we can just go with the fasting for the next 24 hours.

I did find this information on Promethazine and it is used for dogs, but it is illegal for me to tell you that you can use it since a prescription drug needs an in person Vet visit: http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.php/Promethazine

If you have the Pepcid AC, Tigan or Zantac in the house since they are over the counter I can gove you dosages for those,

Joan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have Prilosec will that work?
Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

We do use Pilosec and it 30 mgs for a dog her size every 24 hours. She should only need one dose and by that time start the bland diet I suggested. If the vomiting contines through tomorrow, I suggest a Vet visit to be sure that there is not something more going on. The Acorns are a likely reason for the vomiting and you may have to isolate her from that area. My goal is to give you excellent service and earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

I am checking in on Laya to see how she is doing. It has been a couple of days and want to make sure she is doing better. Please post an update.

Joan