Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She is 14 human years old, she has been wetting her bed and

Customer Question

she is 14 human years old, she has been wetting her bed and wear ever she lays down, i notice she licks her self some times, she is losing her hearing and sight. and here right eye tear gland is a little big and red. she don't move around like she used to, its getting cold now, im just worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: that's about it, she has lived a active life, just recently deteriorating movement and awareness.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 20 days ago.

My name is***** I'm sorry your dog is not feeling well. There are a couple of reasons she could be urinating on her bed and in her sleep.

1) She could have a urinary tract infection. If the bladder is infected, it can cause a change in urinary habits. She will need to go to a vet to have urine checked and then antibiotics prescribed.

2) It is relatively common, in older female spayed dogs for the bladder sphincter or valve to become weak as the dog ages. When that happens, the urine will flow out when they are asleep and the dog is usually unaware it happened. Again, she will need to go to a vet to have her urine checked to be sure its not a urinary tract infection and then start her on medications to help strengthen the sphincter/valve in the bladder. (more in next reply).

Just like us, as they age dogs can lose their sight and hearing. There isn't a lot we can do about that.

However, there are some options for arthritis symptoms.

1) The most important thing you can do to help her arthritis is to keep her a good lean weight. I have no idea if she is overweight, but remaining lean can absolutely help her get around better.

2) I recommend over-the-counter glucosamine chews for all my older pets. You can get these from pet stores, or online. I like Cosequin, Dasuquin, and Glyco-flex brands.

3) Moderate exercise can help with arthritis. Many time the joint is sore and painful when the pet first wakes up or after being still. But once they are up and moving, the joint seems to hurt a little less. Mild to moderate movement absolutely can help lubricate the joint and help the pet be more comfortable. Now I am NOT recommending marathon training. But starting with a walk for a house or two if that as all she can do is a great start. Then work up to going to the end of the block and then working up to around a block.

Does she have any other illnesses or health concerns?

After a good physical exam and possibly blood work your vet may be able to prescribe or recommend other treatments that can help her pain.

I definitely would try to get her in ASAP to have her urine checked.

What other questions or concerns do you have?