Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 8 year old chocolate lab had a limp this past Tuesday

Customer Question

Our 8 year old chocolate lab had a limp this past Tuesday morning. No sign of trauma. It has steadily gotten worse. We took him to a vet on Wednesday afternoon, they said it was hip dysplasia. We have started pain meds & a supplement to get him back on his feet. He has not walked, urinated or deficated since Wednesday evening. He will scoot a bit in a sitting position. I know he needs to relieve himself soon, but how long can he go without other problems?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no he does not
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kubel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Kubel?
Customer: He weighs 87lbs, but looks trim not overly obese
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 20 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Kubel!

First, if the current treatments are not managing his discomfort, it'd be ideal to ring his vet about stronger pain relief options or additional ones that can be used with those started.

Otherwise, we need to tread with care if he isn't able to pass urine or feces. Generally speaking, we want them passing urine (the critical excretory function) every 24 hours. This is because we can see the toxins leak back into the blood and cause them to become collapse or even pass away. So, if he has not done so and cannot easily rise, we'd want to make a sling (How To -HERE) to get him outside with support. You can also use a towel or bed sheet to do the same. While you have him out, gently press on his bladder (located between the back legs) to help get him passing urine. If he cannot, we'd want him seen urgently to make sure there isn't an issue with the spine and paralysis of the bladder.

In regards ***** ***** we'd want to start adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and/or Gi lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil, etc) to his food to ease fecal passage and prevent constipation. We don't want to let this continue much longer (usually we want them going at least once every 48 hours) but again passing urine is key and what we need passing as soon as possible if it has already been days. And if we cannot get him to, then we want him back to the vet quickly.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He just was able to urinate & deficate.
Thanks!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 20 days ago.

That is great to hear, my dear. :)

Keep a close eye and do speak to his vet about additional pain relief options to see if they can get him more mobile sooner.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He has been good the past 2 days with the urination & defecation. With hip dysplasia should the rear legs be limp all the time? He also does not wag is tail.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello again,

With hip dysplasia, they are usually stiff, sore, and lame. The legs shouldn't be non-functional and he should still have tail control. If he doesn't (ie if you lift that tail and it falls or doesn't move on its own), then that makes spinal issues a worry and we'd really want this reassessed by the local vet.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.