Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just realized that she had chewed open the cap and

Customer Question

hi there, i just realized that she had chewed open the cap and consumed a bottle of eye drops
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: shasta, 18 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about shasta?
Customer: 30 pounds
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What ingredients were in the eye drops she got into?

What size was the bottle? How much do you think estimate she had?

How many hours ago did she have this?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it was 3mL of Systane Lubricant eye drops. She ate them about 30 minutes ago. She first was acting a bit agitated, but is now sleeping.
I have listed the ingredients below.
Active Ingredients:
Polyethylene Glycol 400 0.4% (Lubricant)
Propylene Glycol 0.3% (Lubricant)Inactive Ingredients:
Aminomethylpropanol, boric acid, hydroxypropyl guar, POLYQUAD® (polyquaternium-1) 0.001% preservative, potassium chloride, purified water, sodium chloride, sorbitol. May contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she didn't have a large volume since these are both chemicals in the same family as antifreeze though thankfully less toxic. The Polyethylene Glycol is known to cause agitation, so that may be why you did see some with her. Though if she has settled, we'd hope that that would be all we'd see here.

Therefore, in this case, we can choose to monitor but can cover bases here with some home supportive care. To start, we can rinse her mouth with cool water to remove any residue of this. As well, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. But again we'd hope with how dilute this, how little she had, and that she is normal at this stage; that would be all we see and can avoid any harm for her. Of course, any change to that or signs (ie increased thirst, urination changes, wobbliness, or lethargy) and we'd want her seen by the local vet urgently.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.