Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 2 1/2 yr part Shitzu/part Bichon that I got 8

Customer Question

I have a 2 1/2 yr part Shitzu/part Bichon that I got 8 months ago from a family that couldn't keep her. she came potty trained and has adjusted well. About a month ago she peed indoors in my living room in a corner of my area rug/wood floor. No changes in her life that I know of - goes with me daily and home at night alone if I'm out but she's been fine with that
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she's peeing inside the house in ONE area of the house - 3 times already, have cornered off the room but she manages to get in. No change in her routine that I can see.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Sprayed area with Nature's Miracle so she goes in an area beside the sprayed area. How to stop this? SHe goes outside frequently.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mitzi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Mitzi?
Customer: People ask if there are changes in her life when this started and I can't think of any. I've taken her outside and each time she pees, I give her a treat as a reward and praise her and doing this for about 10 days to see if this helps but no. She's still peeing when she can get into the living room and to the area in question....I'm DESPERATE!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Natures's Miracle is a good cleaner so that isn't the problem. However, if this is a carpeted area, you need to let the cleaner soak in as long as the urine did. Urine soaks down into carpet, into padding and when it hits the subflooring, it pools outward. If you just clean the top carpet, you don't reach all the urine so the cleaner doesn't break down all the protein and remove all the odor. So that may be part of the problem. The same thing applies to crevices in flooring as well.

Beside that, there isn't much you can do training wise since she does it when you are not there to stop her. If she does it when you are there, you need to leash her to you to stop the behavior. For times when you do go out, you could crate her.

What does concern me is that she may have a medical cause for the urination such as a Urinary Tract Infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Other causes for increased thirst and frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing, a uterine infection (called pyometra), and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

So if your dog is displaying more than one xymptom such as urinating more often or drinking more than a cup of water for each 8 pounds of body weight each day, then I'd have her checked for a UTI or kidney issue.

Now an option that might work is an indoor fence system. You can set it close to the doorway to the living room so she isn't able to enter the room. See an indoor fence system here:

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-pawz-away-indoor-pet-barrier/dp/48583

That will keep her out of the area. If you feel there is a valid reason for her to need to urinate, you might provide an indoor area for her to eliminate. If so I would recommend a sod mat. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.

To sum up, I'd get her checked over by your vet, clean the area again being sure the cleaner soaks into and down to the padding. and perhaps find a better barrier system like the indoor fence.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.