Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an 11 month old Chihuahua that got bred. She is a

Customer Question

I have an 11 month old Chihuahua that got bred. She is a very long and skinny dog always has been. I would really like to put some weight on her before she is very far along for her health and the puppies. She is 2.5 weeks along doesn't eat dog food very well of any kind what can I make her homemade.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tweety
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tweety?
Customer: She will eat all kinds of people food. She acts like she is starving when you give her people food.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 23 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What is your response yo my question
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 23 days ago.

I would really urge you to not feed a homemade diet. This is not easy to do and have it be nutritionally balanced. When a dog is pregnant, the best thing to feed is a puppy food. A small breed puppy food is going to have the extra calories and calcium needed during this life stage. I like to continue feeding this diet even through lactation until the puppies are weaned.

If you really want to feed a homemade diet, then you should formulate something with a veterinary nutritionist. Here is a link to the UC-Davis site where you can do this:

https://secure.balanceit.com/

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.