VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

I had pest control spray outside of my hous3 and i think my

Customer Question

I had pest control spray outside of my hous3 and i think my dog licked the area right after they left. He has been very restless, drowsy, and just not himself since last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a yorkie and he will be 2 on christmas
JA: How old is bentley?
Customer: He will be 2 december 25th
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about bentley?
Customer: Other than this he is healthy
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to discuss this incident with you. Do you mind telling me how much Bentley weighs, and the name of the product that the pest control used when they sprayed? If they left an EPA reg number on the receipt, that is the absolute best way to identify it.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Bentley weigh about 15 lbs and my husband is calling the company to find out what they used

Thank you! While we wait to see what product was used, have you seen any other signs aside from restlessness and a slight lack of energy?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He isnt eating or drinking

When did you start to notice the signs?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He was fine when my husband got home yesterday evening. After the pest control left he sent bentley outside to use the bathroom and hes been like this since about 5pm yesterday

Alright, thank you. Once you are able to identify the spray, let me know here, and I'll look up the ingredients and concentrations!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
13 Archer IGR (Pyridine) this is what was used

I am looking up the concentrations of the product for this now!

And you think Bentley only had a lick or so of this when he was outside?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i think so

Well, we can certainly see mild tummy upset with these products. The active ingredient is the same that is used in the standard over the counter flea medications to regulate the growth/reproduction of fleas. With these products, they take into account the fact that animals tend to lick them, so they aren't extremely harmful in such low doses.

The concentration itself is not very high, which makes me wonder if either it was enough to upset Bentley's stomach and he is just feeling a little icky, or if he may have had interaction with something else or possibly may have come down with something other than the ingestion, and the timing is just a coincidence. He would have to have gotten far more directly from the bottle to have it cause anything significant.

What's concerning is that we normally see the effects to the tummy after ingestion within 2-4 hours of exposure, but he is showing signs still nearly 24 hours after he licked at it, which makes me worry something else is going on.

Sometimes we can see a tingling sensation like pins and needles, so if you would like to try and give him 2 tbsp of milk (no more because dogs are lactose intolerant), the milk helps ease the tingling sensation. If he won't take it voluntarily, you can try something super tasty like treats or peanut butter to see if you can entice him to eat to get the flavor out of his mouth.

It can sometimes be in the personalities of these little guys to not want to eat as heartily when they are feeling sick to their stomachs. But I would not give him more than tonight and tomorrow morning to entice him to eat. If he starts to show any other signs, or he starts vomiting this fat past when he actually ingested it, I would get him into the ER clinic straightaway. That would either indicate that he had gotten into more than originally imagined, or that there was something else going on with him aside from licking at the spray product.

With upset bellies, sometimes plain Pepcid AC (famotidine only) works at 0.5 milligrams per pound, and that can ease the stomach enough that they might be more willing to eat.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My husband just informed me that he did drink some water today but he isnt eating
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My husband also told me that his left hand was shaking when he picked him up

Trembling can come into play when they are feeling nauseated, and so long as it is not continuous shaking, it's not necessarily something we would be overtly worried about.

Expert:  VetTechErin replied 17 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

VetTechErin