Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Her name is Trixie, last night I woke her up to go out

Customer Question

Hi, her name is ***** ***** night I woke her up to go out before bedtime and when I set her dow, it was like her back end wand still asleep, she managed to pee, but couldn't get her back les to work. she was half in and out of her bed this morning, and there were a couple feces marbles in her bed with her. I carried her outside again and she just couldn't stand. I held her in front of her water dish and she drank quite well. She is approximately 12 years old, hard to know for sure as the first few years of her life are a mystery, rescued from a puppy mill!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Trixie?
Customer: She has some tooth issues but is otherwise very healthy!
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Trixie. Which breed is she, please? You've described a dog either suffering from overall weakness due to any number of systemic disorders and, more likely, a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the vascular supply to her spinal cord), or perhaps a tumor in or around her spinal cord.

A disk can be conservatively addressed with a nonsteroidal antinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam. An embolism is addressed with the tincture of time; many dogs recover function within days. A tumor would hold the poorest prognosis. Please have Trixie's vet attend to Trixie at your earliest convenience. The vet will assess Trixie's conscious proprioception (knowing where one's limbs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception) and be able to give you a prognosis for Trixie's return to function.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She is a Yorkshire terrier, very small approx. 5.5 lbs!

Thank you! A myelopathy should be the most important consideration in a miniature dog such as she. I would expect to find a prolapsed or ruptured disk. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I was not expecting to be involved with Just Answer, again, I have already had a bad experience in the past and would prefer to take Trixie to our local vet. Thank you!

Yes, that would be prudent. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.