Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Are you a bot or real person? my dogs just peed a really

Customer Question

are you a bot or real person ?
JA: I'm an assistant to the veterinarian. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: my dogs just peed a really dark reddy brown colour
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: all the vets are closed what causes this problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: no sign of pain, just the pee colour
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: jack he's 2
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about jack?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 18 days ago.

HI this is Dr. Hill. I am a real person, not sure about the person/bot who initially answers. You said that Jack's urine is a dark red, but then you said dogs. So want to clarify it is just one dog. Also, is Jack eating and drinking normally? Have you changed his diet or added new treats?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it's just one dog, a 2 year old male japanese spitz called Jack. His urine is dark brown with a reddish rust like colour to it. He seems to be eating and drinking normally but i hadn't noticed him pee for a few hours perhaps and when he did it was really long and immediately shocked me with the colour. He has had some new salmon treats today and also been for a long walk in hot temperatures, i live in phuket in thailand so it really is warm - usually his walks are 30 - 45 minutes this was 2 hours or so. He drank a good amount of water when we stopped a couple of times though. I've tried to take him to the vet but they are all closed. Can you advise on what it could be and what i should do please.

Absolutely. Because of the long walk in hot weather, I would make sure his body temperature is not elevated. Can you take his temperature rectally? It should not be above 103. If it is much higher, then I worry about heat stroke and the discolored urine can be a sign of bleeding secondary to an elevated temperature. If the temp is normal and he is acting normally, then it could either be from a urinary tract infection or inflammation. Rarely, we can see some discoloration to the urine when a treat or food with significant amounts of dye is ingested. Either way, the next step is to have a urinalysis with your local veterinarian. So for now just check his temperature if possible, free choice water and watch for any bruising on his body. Let me know what his temperature is please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, i just took his temperature rectally for 2.5 minutes and it was 101.3. I don't see any bruises. I will take him to the vet as soon as it opens in the morning. Is there any other advice you can give me please?

Hello. That is a great body temperature, so unlikely to be heat stroke. I would just continue to monitor his urinating and his bowel movements. Definitely get him to your local veterinarian. They are going to want to get a urine sample for a urinalysis. Please continue to ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this site for several days, even after rating my response. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. The site was not working for me for about an hour. Take care.