Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He has been scratching and scratching his belly. It is red

Customer Question

He has been scratching and scratching his belly. It is red and hot. He is also biting his legs. He does not have flees and I have checked 50 times or more. What is wrong with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. He itches his belly constantly.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No, he has been very healthy. He just started this constant scratching for maybe a month now.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

You may be looking at airborne or food allergies as both will cause scratching as well airborne allergies will cause a dog to lick the paws. Because the skin in some areas are sore a skin scraping is a good idea to make sure there is no bacterial, yeast or fungus present. Your vet can do this in the office and you would have an office before you leave. Each requires a different treatment.

If it is food allergies then changing the food to one made specifically for food allergies can help. There are many available made specifically for this in pet stores. A duck and sweet potato food usually works.

There is a new medication out call Apoquel for dogs with allergies that can stop that itch in a matter of days. You may want to discuss this with your vet if allergies are the problem.

In some cases plain old dry skin will cause the dog to scratch and for this you can try adding some coconut oil to the daily diet to improve skin and coat.I will direct you to a link for the appropriate dosing.

Hold on while I get some links for you to look at

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don't believe it is a food allergy has we have not changed his diet. It could be dry skin so we bought Nature's Miracle No-Chew spray. I have used it several times now but he is still scratching. Possibly I just need to keep applying. His belly could be hot and red from all the scratching. I just wanted to make certain that nothing serious was wrong with him. What do you think?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 19 days ago.

Actually, dogs are likely to become allergic to a food they have been eating for a long time over a new food you just introduced. When foods are changed it can still take months before you see a difference.

I think that allergies will be a constant problem causing him to itch until it is resolved.

To keep him from biting any areas I would use a cone to allow these areas to heal. As for scratching , you can try covering the area with tee shirts or cover his feet with socks or booties so he does not do more severe damage to the skin,

As for something more serious such as mange or mites that would have to be looked at in a skin scraping. This is not something that can be determined online., only suggestions made going by description