Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 30pound terrier mix ate 5 zantac X300 mg, Omalley 2

Customer Question

my 30pound terrier mix ate 5 zantac X300 mg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Omalley 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Omalley?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago did Omalley consume these Zantac tabs?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Earlier in the day maybe between 3-4:30pm

You and I are not on the same time zone, I imagine. How many hours ago was this?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Myv

Im sorry?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
3 hours

There's not much data published on overdoses of Zantac. Fortunately, what is published is the toxic dose and O'malley has consumed only half as much as would be needed for major symptoms to arise. It is always wise to have a vet check done after an overdose of medication occurs, but it does not appear that he is in any immediate danger. You may see vomiting or diarrhea, GI cramping, nausea, etc. If you see muscle tremors, collapse or other concerning symptoms I would recommend an immediate physical exam at the ER or your vets office, whichever is open at the time.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

JACustomer, just checking in. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?