Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She has delivered 7 puppies...last on at 10 am......seem to

Customer Question

She has delivered 7 puppies...last on at 10 am......seem to take a break thought she was done...started contractions again...but no puppy its now 11:54
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Drambuie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Drambuie?
Customer: No..normal pregency...she is 3 years old...but 1st preg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Drambuie's unusual labor.

There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble.

The problem with a dog that is pushing but no puppy presenting can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions).

Whatever is going on she needs help, this is too long for her to be pushing. She needs to be seen on an emergency basis. She may just need an oxytocin and calcium injections or she may need a c-section.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****