Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

About a week ago she had a spell of vomitting for a night,

Customer Question

About a week ago she had a spell of vomitting for a night, but seemed to be in pain as well. She got over it mostly. She has vomited a once since, about two days later. She has been very needy and sometimes the hair on her back stands up for no reason. Today I almost think her back hips are walking funny, but not sure. This has been about a week since the initial vomiting/pain spell. She is a 50 pound mixed breed. Maybe some pit, about 10 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No that's about it. She has never really had any issues before
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about the vomiting?

Can you also post a video of her walking, showing what seems to be abnormal?

As well, is she on any medications at this time?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is not on any medications. The night she was vomiting she would arch up and her hair would stand up about 10 minutes before. Then she vomited, no continous heaving. Just vomiting
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The walking she just seems to be switching her hips.. kind of stiff legged. Barley noticable

Thank you for the additional info.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better if the vomiting starts again. I have a suspicion that she may be dealing with some discomfort in her back end and over her spine which may be the reason you're seeing the raised fur and the stiff movement in her back end. At 10 years of age, she's not too young to have arthritis so it would be wise to have her examined by your vet if this persists. Some hip and spine x-rays would be useful as well as a trial medication of canine-safe NSAIDs and/or pain meds, if indicated. My favorite for larger breed dogs are meloxicam and previcox for the canine-safe NSAIDs options.

If the vomiting returns:

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

JACustomer, just checking in. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?