Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Very active 11 year old part boxer dog is very weak, having

Customer Question

very active 11 year old part boxer dog is very weak, having trouble walking, not eating and having seizures where he falls over and urinates on himself
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ollie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ollie?
Customer: he almost always greets with a toy but has not picked one up in four days. He will not go up and down the stairs. We have to carry him.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ollie. You've described a critically ill dog who needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Seizures at Ollie's age are usually due to brain tumor. Less commonly, adult onset epilepsy is diagnosed. His vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to see if there is a metabolic problem underlying Ollie's weakness, anorexia, and seizures. If conservative testing such as this reveals nothing untoward, MRI is necessary to look into Ollie's brain for tumors. Time is of the essence at Ollie's age. Please don't hesitate to have him attended to.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
After his seizure this morning he was able to take a short very slow walk. Tail was wagging. Now he's back to resting on his bed. He does not wag or pick up his ears like he used to when I talk to him. Is it possible he's just reaching the end of his life?

Yes, an 11 year old dog of Ollie's size is at life expectancy. Unfortunately, cancers are extremely common in boxers/boxer mixes. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?