Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We just got a rescue and she is great in so many ways.

Customer Question

We just got a rescue and she is great in so many ways. Unfortunately, she has been aggressive toward out 13 year old Border Collie. She also has demonstrated aggression toward other dogs we may see on walks. Can't keep her unless we get things under control.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How long have you had her?

What sex is your other dog?

When she is approached by people does she seem shy at first and then warm up to them or does she go right up to them?

How about other dogs, does she start barking the minute she sees them or does she go up to them first then act out?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We got the dog from an animal shelter about 10 days ago.
Both are female
She doesn't bark but she does get in a posture ready to pounce
We don't know what to try. The two dogs are OK most of the time and we have no idea what has prompted the fights.
Rescue looks like a terrier mix but she goes for the throat. Wondering if pit bull is part of DNA
Expert:  Sally G. replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for that information. Usually females have a tendency to want to be boss of the home and it is sometimes hard to get two females to get along. AT this point your elder probably does not want to go at it with a younger dog and this dog knows that. she may be tying to be alpha in the group.

Sometimes dog become possessive over items so if there are any items laying around such as toys, bones, beds etc, that can start it. They can also become possessive over space and people.

It is going to be hard to decipher which is the problem, but you will need to work with her daily in obedience and possibly the learn to earn program.

It seems there was a problem with the phone call.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Not sure this was much help.
thanks
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There seems to be a communications problem within program. Will try something else.
Not sure this helped.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 25 days ago.

Are you having trouble communicating through the site?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Seems to be a problem getting through. Thanks