Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My yorkie keeps losing her balance and walking to the side I

Customer Question

my yorkie keeps losing her balance and walking to the side I took her to a vet and he gave her a shot and she seem to get better. Then when I took her to get her second set of paro and temper she started back losing her balance
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on her foor foor foot
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: GiGi is 3 months old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about GiGi?
Customer: No she has been to the vet 3 times already and he keeps telling me its her nerve endings are developed yet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gigi. You've described an ataxic ("drunken sailor") puppy. Ataxia can arise secondary to a general weakness as might be seen with profound anemia or it can arise due to both encephalopathies (brain disorders) or myelopathies (spinal cord disorders). Because Gigi is a Yorkie - a breed over-represented with hepatoencephalopathy (a poorly functioning liver intoxicating the brain) - her liver function needs to be assessed with a blood test called serum bile acids along with basic diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If such testing reveals nothing untoward, we need to look into her brain for the cause of her behavior. That, however, involves MRI.

"Underdeveloped nerve endings" is not a reasonable differential diagnosis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.