Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My ten week old french bulldog puppy, does not know when he

Customer Question

Hi my ten week old french bulldog puppy , does not know when he needs a poo just pours out , very runny all the time , plus now blood as well , only had him a week today , got another and hes fine , any help i would be grateful
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Blue
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?
Customer: No dont think so , he is small but eats well , plays fine
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 23 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Blue. French Bulldogs are my favorite. Puppies have problems with diarrhea commonly and for a number of reasons. The most concerning problem may be parvo virus which causes bloody diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration. These puppies are usually very ill and need immediate medical attention because some puppies can pass away from parvo. It is also highly contagious to other puppies or unvaccinated dogs. There is an easy test to check for this. Also intestinal parasites can cause diarrhea so I would have a veterinarian check the stool and give an appropriate dewormer. Things like roundworms, hookworms, giardia, and coccidia can cause severe diarrhea. Also bacterial infections can cause this and an antibiotic would be needed. You may want to try a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice along with some canned pumpkin to help with the diarrhea. Let me know if you have further questions.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Were you able to view my response?