Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

We're thinking of adopting a puppy with a lobster claw paw

Customer Question

we're thinking of adopting a puppy with a lobster claw paw and are wondering what the long term effects of the deformity might be; are there any other congenital problems associated with this defect?
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: he's only 5 weeks old; seems a little more withdrawn than the other pups in the litter
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: we just observed him yesterday; he's still with the breeder and his mom; seems same size and just as chubby as the others
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: he' an akc English springer spaniel ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Have you asked the breeder if there are any other abnormalities in their lines?

Is he the only pup with a deformity?

Are you planning on having him as a pet or are you thinking of showing him?

Will he be doing any hunting or long distance running?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no other deformities in the line; he's the only pup out of 9 with a deformity although one other pup died last week of failure to thrive; we will keep him as a pet, no dog shows, no hunting or long distance runs; we're senior citizens with 2 other springers
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I think that the biggest concern will be the possibility of some early onset arthritis in that limb.

Springers, as you know, are pretty tenacious dogs and it really takes a lot to keep them down, so I doubt it's going to impact his health negatively other than possibly causing some discomfort if he over-exerts it.

That being said....you may want to have your own vet examine him and possibly take an x-ray of that limb, just to be on the safe side. They'll be able to see if they forsee any other unusual problems, but I suspect that since he's going to be a house dog, that it won't impact him at all.

I hope this helps.