Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My 10 year old boxer had a bad bout of stomach flu a little

Customer Question

my 10 year old boxer had a bad bout of stomach flu a little throwing up and a lot of diarrhea. that's all stopped I used pumpkin and a little emodium liquid to settle it down.his stools are a little soft but forming and hes not going all the time. he has a good appetite so can he start eating his regular food (iams dry mixed with a small can of pedigree canned food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no, He is my sevice dog and I had the intestinal flu so his vet felt that that's what it was.
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ranger, Yes but I needed to know if he could start eating his regular diet now since his diarrhea has stopped
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ranger?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 27 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Cocagne and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Ranger and I'm happy to help. I usually recommend that dogs eat a bland diet for gastrointestinal upset for 2-3 days and then if the clinical signs are improving then re-introducing the regular diet. So as long as Ranger is doing better then it is ok to go back to his regular diet. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Thank you

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.