Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had an enema Friday and now she is having difficulty

Customer Question

My dog had an enema Friday and now she is having difficulty going and crystal when she try's. she is on prednisone score a week. I gave her some chicken broth to get her to drink and when I fed her I put some fish oil in her food to help her. How else can I help her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lizzie, she is a king chares
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Lizzie?
Customer: No, the vet did run a lot of tests and said that her liver , kidneys and blood count was good
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did want to touch base with you about Lizzie. If she is painful when passing stool and the steroids aren't managing that discomfort, then we'd want to ring her vet about pain relief options that can be safely added to her treatment (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine). Though to help her go, I would suggest that further to the fish oil (which is too digestible and won't help down in the lower GI), try adding a few milliliters of OTC Miralax, Lactulose, or food grade mineral oil to her food. Even cat hairball treatment can be used. All remain in the gut longer and will help her pass this. And if we can ease that, hopefully we can ease her discomfort, get her more regular +/- add those additional medications if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )