Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Brachial plexus injury and flaccid leg due to car hit.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Appears to be shoulder and neck strike not foot.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Callahan age four
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Callahan?
Customer: That is main issue. Of course vets ask if I want to amputate. I see from various Internet sites that there is a chance of healing with massage, heat to increase circulation, laser and TENS, but I am unsure which is best. I plan to try all physical therapies possible to restore nerves.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Callahan. How long has it been since the injury?

If the nerves are completely torn, no therapy will heal them back together. If the nerves are just stretched and inflamed, you might see function return, but it could take weeks, months, even longer.

I would consider acupuncture, laser, therapeutic ultrasound and TENS. Working with a veterinarian who specializes in rehab and physical therapy would be your best chance.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 18 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. Can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?