Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog just chewed a bottle of refresh tears and I don't

Customer Question

my dog just chewed a bottle of refresh tears and I don't know if
he drank it or not the active ingredient is soduim carboxymethylcellulose he had a big meal a short time ago and
my husband just said he drank quite a bit of water just now - what
should i do
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 22 days ago.

I understand that you are concerned because Beau chewed on a bottle of Refresh Tears with the active ingredient sodium carboxymethylcellulose.

Did he also ingest the bottle or just chew on it and possibly ingest some of the liquid?

If he just ingested some of the liquid then I would not be concerned, this product is not toxic if ingested orally.

These are salt water based lubricating drops that are extremely safe, and have no effects on a dog when ingested orally.

If he ingested chunks of the bottle too then let me know and I can give you some suggestions to help with that.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 19 days ago.
Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****