Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He was recently at his vet (Thursday) and we are still

Customer Question

he was recently at his vet (Thursday) and we are still trying to get an exact diagnosis of what his initial symptoms are....labs came back and his urinalysis was fine...but his calcium and IDEXX SDMA were high so they are possible leaning towards a intestinal tumor or tumor somewhere. At the time of the visit, he was not eating...so they started him on prednisone Friday. His urine changes only came about early in the hours of this morning....but have been continuing. Besides peeing/trickling a lot, he seems to be pushing or "bearing down" when nothing comes out after some does. So, I'm think he is unable to empty himself fully. But, I am concerned. Not sure if the changes are due to the aggressive prednisone doses they started him out on, or if something else is going on. Since these urinary changes this morning, he has not been much interested in eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: when I just not put some pressure on his lower abdomen, he seemed to be uncomfortable with it....and it did seem harder than usual. I'm thinking he is unable to output as much as his body is producing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which breed and how old is your dog, please? An elevated calcium serum level has many possible etiologies. In general, we need to clarify if the hypercalcemia is due to malignancy or, instead, is due to primary hyperparathyroidism, renal failure, or Addison's disease although there are other etiologies. An elevated SDMA is a reliable indicator of impaired kidney function but doesn't tell us the etiology of that impairment. His behavior is, indeed, concerning. It's not related to the prednisone unless prednisone has predisposed to a urinary tract infection. A tumor involving the urinary tract needs to be considered and so ultrasound of his abdomen is indicated.

Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/