Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Second opinion] - have taken to 3 vets. The last one drew

Customer Question

Second opinion] - have taken to 3 vets. The last one drew blood. Results will be available tomorrow. Started with gum infection and nerve damage to one paw. I was advised to put splint on paw. Then took him back because he would not eat peanut butter with pain power in butter. Now he will not stand at all and I am giving him water with dropper and he will not eat. I am carrying him to go outside to bathroom. He can not stand.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Chihuahua 4 yrs. on 12/5/1916
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the Chihuahua can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Bandit
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: All shots are current. I have not been doing heart worm med. I have 5 dogs and the rest are fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When paresis (weakness)/paralysis begins in a front leg and then all legs are affected buth encephalopathy (brain disorder) cervical myelopathy (spinal cord disorder in the neck) need to be considered. Steroid responsive encephalopathies such as granulomatous meningoencephalopathy (GME) and meningitis-arteritis are important considerations in miniature dogs. Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is the most common of the cervical myelopathies.

Blood work isn't likely to be informative in these cases. X-rays, MRI, and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) tap and analysis are the diagnostics of value. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.