Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our dog is 14 female and always very healthy. The last few

Customer Question

Our dog is 14 female and always very healthy. The last few days and right now, she's panting heavy and back legs seem to be giving out. Now she is drinking water and seemingly normal all with-in 10 min. However back right leg seems to give out a little. She is a lab dalmation mix. She is resting now. We are leaving for Colorado for Thanksgiving and leaving her here with relatives to care for while we are gone.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No because it seems more like a seizure type behavior.
JA: What is the Dalmation's name?
Customer: Midnight. We got her at the shelter 12 yrs ago and yesterday she was running and acting pretty normal. With her age I'm afraid of a stroke or something like that happening. She drinks a lot of water I've noticed.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Midnight?
Customer: No she had her shots two months ago and no problems. She is due for a fecal exam now
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, My name is Candy
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. I am reviewing your question and will be right with you.

Expert:  Candy replied 23 days ago.

Can you tell me when she had blood work done last.

How often is she having seizure like activity?

Any head tilt or raid eye movement?

Is her stomach larger or harder then normal?

Are her gums nice and pink or are they pale or white in color?

You mention she drinks a lot of water, can you tell me if there has been any increase or decrease in her appetite?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Blood work done when she had here shots, appx 2 months ago. Yesterday I noticed she was having a bit of leg trouble(back legs) I thought maybe she hurt herself jumping out of the car. But today suddenly panting heavy and rear legs giving out. She didn't collapse though. She seems a little tired and resting now. Stomach seems normal but not eating today. I did buy her new dog food maybe that's why. She was pretty frisky yesterday afternoon outside, running fast and happy. Gums are normal pink and also she is very hard of hearing and has been for about a year.
Expert:  Candy replied 23 days ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a few moments to type up your answer.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No calls I will take her my vet tomorrow thanks for the help
Expert:  Candy replied 23 days ago.

I did not request a phone call. That is generated by the site not me, in fact I do dnot do calls at all.

Panting can be a sign of pain and that combined with the leg weakness could be due to a problem such as slipped,or compressed disc.

Now with large breed dogs one of the problems we see in seniors is a tumor on the spleen. Very often we do not even know that there is a problem until the tumor begins to bleed. Sudden hind end weakness that comes and goes is often a sign of a mild bleed.

Increased drinking can be signs of diabetes, liver disease or a condition called Cushings disease. All of the above can cause seizures.

Due to her age a hands on exam is going to be needed so I agree that having her seen by your vet tomorrow would be best. If she goes down and can not get up, her gums become pale or white in color or she seems to be having trouble breathing then I would have her seen tonight.

I apologize that I can not give you a for sure answer on what is happening here

Expert:  Candy replied 20 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy