Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Had him to the emergency vet about a month ago. He had

Customer Question

Had him to the emergency vet about a month ago. He had extreme pain in his stomach. They took x rays and said he had some small gas pockets, nothing twisted or blocked. They gave him pain killers. Then he was fine. He is now in extreme pain again with the same symptoms. Should I take him back ? Is there something I can give him to get rid of the gas. He is in so much pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

You can use gas-x to help with flatulence, but I would recommend going back to the ER to have treatment started again. If blood work was not run last time, I would request it this time to be sure there's no obvious cause for this pain such as pancreatitis.

Here's the dosing info for gas-x: http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
He is shreaking in pain, seems to flare up every 10 minutes or so. We are returning to ER. No blood work was run last time, just x rays. Does that sound like pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis can cause vocalization in dogs, absolutely. I would be concerned about a back problem, as well, as this can also show up as pain but look like abdominal pain.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion?