Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

My 2 year old Doberman just got off the sofa and passed a

Customer Question

Hello my 2 year old Doberman just got off the sofa and passed a small amount of urine with what looked like blood in it, I checked his penis and it was hard and compacted inside the sheath, and what looked swollen on the end, literally two minutes later everything is back to normal and looks as it should do. Do I have reason to panick?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he urinating more frequently?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. No he seems to be urinating as normal although I haven't seen him urinate since he last passed the watery blood.
2. Other than that he seems ok in himself and the hardness and compactness has gone away

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've just checked again and there is a hard large lump what feels like behind the penis?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It then goes away

1- Do you mean on the lump is on the shaft of the penis?

Friend, if the penile tissue was enlarged and then within 2 minutes went back to normal it is possible he had an erection. The lump you are seeing in the penis is a tissue that is called the bulbis glandis which further supports an erection. The big question is: Where the blood came from? If you are not seeing any cuts or abnormalities in the penis this could be originating in the bladder like when they have bladder stones, inflammation, prostate disorders, an infection, etc. to name a few causes. There is no reason to panic, but, I would follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and urinalysis as an initial screening test. If at any point you notice that he is not able to urinate or is having a hard time passing urine then he should be seen by ER veterinarian, this is an indication of a possible stone blocking the outflow of urine. In the meantime, there is nothing to worry about.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter