Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 10 yr old cavaliers some skeletal problems which have

Customer Question

Hi there my 10 yr old cavaliers some skeletal problems which have made him adopt a head down ,saw horse pose and over the last 7 months has had a lot of trouble stabilising himself to poop.
he now seems to have significant weakness in his back legs and has trouble standing up and still .
If he starts walking he is ok for short distances but when still shudders and sways.
Is he just getting old for a cavalier and when is the right time to let him go if necessary
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Cavalier's problems. Is he taking any pain medication?

It sounds like he has a problem in his neck and/or spine, such as a pinched nerve or inflamed disc. It could also be something more serious such as a tumor in the spine. It may help to start him on anti inflammatory medication such as carprofen or meloxicam along with a pain medication such as gabapentin.

Is he eating? I usually judge quality of life by the appetite. If he is eating, he is not suffering enough for me to be thinking about letting him go, if he were mine.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. How is he doing?