Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 60 llb 7 month old golden retriever ate 50 mg piece of

Customer Question

My 60 llb 7 month old golden retriever ate 50 mg piece of edible marijuana chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Henry - he ate it an hour ago
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much. Marijuana is not that poisonous to dogs, in fact it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death. So a toxic dose for your dog would be 60 x 1.5 mg = 90 grams, so your dog should not be at much risk from just 50 mg { There are of course 1000 mg in a gram } It is probabaly safe just to monitor your dog for present.

2. So you can see from the above that deaths from marijuana poisoning in dogs are not common, but adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, uncoordinated and having hallucinations or seizures are common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to these drugs. While there are no guarantees, in my experience the vast majority of dogs exposed to marijuana fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment. However some dogs would experience very bad symptoms and require hospitalisation, and intensive care with IV fluids etc where very large amounts had been ingested.

3. I am not too worried about 50 mg in your size of dog but if you want to take every possible precaution one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.