How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19509
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some chocolate. I'm not sure how much but it

Customer Question

My dog ate some chocolate. I'm not sure how much but it would have been Halloween candy. Smaller than the fun size bars. He threw up once with some chunks and the second time it was more brownish liquid. He seems fine really. Eating and drinking normally and using the bathroom as normal. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you so much
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { Minutes or hours ago } ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say about an hour ago is when he ingested the chocolate. He literally just threw up 10 minutes ago
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The chocolate in question is either a butterfinger or baby Ruth and it is less than an ounce it would have been 11.25 grams or less.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Katie,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If he has vomited twice already and is acting normally at this point then the chances are you have nothing to worry about. In any case the amount involved is very small. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 10 lb { a small dog } then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 7 ozs { close to half a pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

2. All you need do for now is just to keep an eye on your dog. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any more serious symptoms appear. But as I said this would now be unlikely ...

3. In my experience most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I really am glad that he responded quickly and accurately. I was very panicked and scared but he eased my worries and gave me information to look for in case of any other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.
No problem, very glad to be advising you.Regards, *****
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Katie,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Questions