Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I am inheriting a 4 year old Yorkie from a relative who is

Customer Question

I am inheriting a 4 year old Yorkie from a relative who is no longer able to care for him. I took him for a 1 mile walk the other morning and gave him water afterwards. Shortly thereafter, he threw up the water. When I told my cousin, he advised the dog always throws up water! Is this normal?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

This is not normal.

Was a very large quantity of water consumed?

Does he vomit water at any other times?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
O would say (while he was with me), he consumed appox 1/3c of water after walking 1 mile with me.I am not sure as I am just getting to know the dog and have only spend time with him 4 times. I plan to transition him to my home within the next couple of days.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
His original owner told me he vomits water all the time

If this is a persistent issue, he needs some diagnostics performed. I don't think a single vomiting episode is reason to worry over the weekend but do start tracking the episodes of vomiting. He may benefit from some bloodwork and GI x-rays to determine if there is a cause for the vomiting. You may wish to give smaller amounts and not around exercise time to see if this helps cut back on the frequency.

You can also give a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours if you see vomiting. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Any idea what can cause this to happen? I am on a fixed income and cannot afford expensive vet care. I did take the dog to a vet 2 days ago to have him examined, tested for heart worms, get vaccinations and flea control pills. I also inquired about his allergies. He tested negative for heart worms. The doctor prescribed a medicated shampoo; he also advised the allergies may be flea allergies - I am to take the dog back in two weeks for a followup visit.

It could be something as minor as drinking too much, it could be something lodged in the stomach causing irritation when water is consumed, could be a tumor, etc. He's young, so cancer would be rather uncommon but still a possibility. Right now it only sounds like you've witnessed this once, so it may not be a concern in the future if water is held off after exercise. Sometimes a change in the way a pet is cared for can cause a resolution of symptoms, as well, it all depends on what is wrong with the pet, really.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing? Do you need more assistance?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
As I stated before the original owner advised the dog throws up water all the time. He thinks it is because he drinks it too fast?! He has advised me not to give him water in the house. This does not make sense to me as we all need water for sufficient hydration. Although I have only witnessed once, I immediately brought this to the attention of his owner. The dog weights 7lbs. I have not yet brought the dog to my home.. Typically how much water does a pet this size need.. .
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Does your screen name 'PittRottMommy' imply you are most familiar with Pit Bulls and Rottweillers? If so, I would feel more comfortable with someone who is most familiar with small dogs (less than 10lbs).
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

My handle only states that I own both breeds, as mentioned above, I have been involved in vet med for over 15 years, the entirety of which has been working with small breed dogs.

Were you able to see my reply above?

Also, typically 1 oz per pound of body weight. So, if he is less than 10# ***** could easily assume that 10oz of water (or slightly less) is sufficient.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I saw your response. This online back and forth is not working for me. It appears to me that nothing can replace an actual visit to the vet. I have too many questions and not enough answers. Thank you anyway...
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Certainly. Good luck with your pet.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Found a site called Yorkie Info which published a book specifically for Yorkie owners! Here is an excerpt that directly responds to my initial question; It appears my cousin was correct and this is a common issue...If a Yorkshire Terrier Drinks too FastThe most common issue with Yorkies that drink too fast is stomach upset and/or vomiting right after drinking. Not only do you not want to see your Yorkie get sick, but also the vomiting will not only expel the water he just drank but will send other fluids out as well which can make the puppy or dog more dehydrated than ever.
Offer water on a more consistent basis can help prevent this so that the Yorkshire Terrier does not reach the point of being excessively thirsty, however one of the best methods to help a dog slow down when drinking is to use a slow-feeder bowl for his water. These have safe protrusions that distribute the water (or food) which forces the dog to lap (or eat) around them and food or water is ingested much slower.PLEASE DO NOT CHARGE ME FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION...