Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My English bulldog has been more tired than normal. She has

Customer Question

My English bulldog has been more tired than normal. She has been sleeping nonstop. She does still have her sports of energy but for the last 3 days almost sleeps the entire day and night. Today we took her to the park and she seemed fine but when we got home she didn't drink any water but has proceeded to drool a ridiculous amount for the last 2 hours. She soaked her blanket. Her mouth, tongue and such are pink but not the bright pink it is normally. Also about 30 min ago she ate stew that fell on the ground before I could clean it up which included garlic and onions. I know they are not good for dogs. It's 48 degrees out. She drank the bottled water I bring for her at the park, just not sure what's wrong.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has she had any changes to her diet prior to the stew ingestion? Any new food? new treats? human food?

Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No nothing. Same food. Same diet. She's been drooling for about an hour or hour and a half prior to eating the stew. She used the bathroom when we were walking to the park but nothing out of the ordinary.

Her symptoms don't really point to anything in particular being wrong at this time. I can give you some direction on medication you can give at home to help settle her stomach to see if this would help. A few bites of stew with cooked onion and garlic shouldn't be greatly harmful to a dog of Eloise's size.

If you need additional help this weekend as her symptoms progress, I'll be happy to assist you on this thread again. If her lethargy persists through to Monday, I would suggest an exam and diagnostics to see if there is something wrong that can be detected on bloodwork.

My suggestion at this time would be to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

Checking, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I had to take her to the vet. Because the response was that her symptoms didn't really point to anything in particular being wrong at this time. Then it was later suggested I give her stomach meds. I indicated she ate garlic and onions and was told by you that it shouldn't really bother her because of her size. I've had bulldogs long enough to know when something is out of the ordinary and wrong and when they have a stomach problem, so I didn't feel like I was getting a lot of useful information from this dialog. I had to take her to the vet and pay a ridiculous amount of money for them to run tests to tell me she in fact is highly allergic to garlic. When I indicated the info about the onions and garlic they said any amount of onions or garlic, regardless of the size of the dog, is dependant on the each dogs reaction to it. Apparently she is extremely allergic and her tongue began to swell and it was cutting off her ability to take in air. I indicated to the vet that I explained on this chat session that her mouth was pink still but a much lighter pink than normal. They said that was due to lack of oxygen and if I waited much longer and just treated with stomach medication Eloise would have died. Her excessive drooling was because she couldn't swallow her saliva. I shared a great amount of detail with you when explaining the timing, the symptoms and anything that happened out of the ordinary that may have triggered it. I even brought up the onions and garlic specifically to get that type of feedback. So, hopefully I wasn't charged for this as it didn't help at all.